Tiny house pricing is the number one question we get from folks. So how much do Tiny Houses cost? Well, the answer is… it depends. Here is what we can tell you. Our target price for a typical 8×16 tiny house model with average finishes is about $37,000. We have built larger, top of the line houses for $100k+. End cost will be a factor of trailer length, design complexity, and finish level.
We aim to be competitive with most other Tiny House builders in the country that , particularly ones close to the Rocky Mountain region, but we also take great pride in our work and offer a unique one of kind service that just won’t be competitive with the newer up and coming (and hungry) type builders. We also build to a very high standard. You will never find such things as cheap fiberglass insulation, poorly done plumbing, haphazard electrical, inadequate framing, used or cheap trailers, aluminum windows, or any other corners cut to save money.
Just to give you a glimpse into the cost of building a Tiny House, let me provide some quick stats for a “normal” build:
- $3000-8000 Cost of a real good trailer
- $2800 Windows
- $400 Single Entry Door
- $1200 French Doors
- $3000 Custom Archtop Door!
- $1000-5000 appliances
- $800 roofing
- $3000 lumber, sheathing, etc.
- $2800 insulation
- $400 Shower
- $500 electrical bits
- $500 plumbing bits
- $500 lights/fans
- $1000 Composting Toilet
- $600 flooring
- $2000-$5000 interior materials
- $500 finishes
- $800 cabinets
- $6 box of screws. Doesn’t sound like much until you have to buy like 30 of them
- $45/hr typ. rate for a rough or finish carpenter
- $20/hr typ. rate for helpers
- $60/hr typ. rate for a plumber or electrician
- $30/hr general labor, finish work, trim, etc.
These are but a few of the costs associated with building a Tiny House.
Other expenses we have to pay:
- Professional Liability Insurance
- Worker’s Compenstaion
- Business and Tax Licences
- Tools and shop/office supplies
- Internet/ Phone
- “Time” be it design, running to the lumberyard, on the phone ordering long lead time items, coordinating with the client, or actually building the house
You add all this up and it becomes clear why a Tiny House seemingly cost so much.
With so many folks out there that comprehend the nature of our business and appreciate the value we offer , we simply cannot entertain any inquiries asking for ultra low budget builds. Please consider purchasing a quality used tiny house or purchasing plans and going the DIY route. We are also happy to refer you to other builders that might be able to work with you.
For some ballpark numbers relevant to the quality of builds that we produce:
Trailer length: Complete Cost: Shell cost:
12′ $23-31k $8-14k
16′ $35-42k $10-16k
18′ $38-48k $13-18k
20′ $41-55k $14-20k
24′ $48-75k $16-24k
28′ $60-80k $20-33k
30′ $65-85k $22-35k
34′ $70-100k $28-40k
gooseneck trailers add about $4,000 in cost on average
Shell costs vary depending on whether you require roofing, siding, windows, electrical, plumbing, or insulation options.
Other trailer lengths available